My Twitter

Sunday, August 5, 2007

Thoughts on my Girlfriend and her "Christian" family...

Okay, so lets start off with a few things. I have been dating my girlfriend for over 2 and a half years now. I love her so much it really hurts sometimes. We are getting ready to take the next step and move in together. This sounds like something that should and would be just a fantastic and exciting experience. On the contrary, I find that it has become something that makes me question the very fundamentals of our relationship. Her parents do not agree with people living with each other before marriage. My family is much more modern in that sense realizing that it is just what sometimes happens. I think that the reason the divorce rate IS finally going down in this country is because less people are rushing into relationships and realizing that in the end this is not what they wanted.

The Religion Involved
Okay were both Christians and we both have similar beliefs. Both of our families regularly attend church and neither of us typically attend. I don't understand why her family would rather she rush into something that is permanent than commit a minor sin. It would not bother me nearly as much if her beliefs were that of her parents. I just simply would not move in with her and we would basically have a high-school relationship.

Her actions contradict her words
She tells me that she does in fact want to move in with me and that she wants to do all of these things and then lets her parents strong arm her into doing something else. My parents do have rules, they feel that I should not get a tattoo. Okay fine, I can wait on a tat, no biggie, but if I really really wanted one, I am sure I would do all things possible to get one. I am 22 years old and I agree with respecting my parents wishes but it would be another thing if I was telling her every day that I was going to get one and then didn't do it.

The even harder part for me is that she tells me that things would change once were married and that she feels compelled to do what they want because of what they pay for. But do people change? Her parents have their nose in every aspect of Tina's Sister's life and there is nothing her poor sister can do. I don't want that in my marriage. The even bigger question for me is, what does she say behind my back. If she talks about how much stuff she does not want to do and then does it, what does she not want to do with me that she just does. This descriptiveness scares me.

Goodness Gracious Wisdom Teeth
Okay. So were supposed to get our wisdom teeth out next week, no big deal obviously if you read down you'll realize the problems I have had with work around that subject. We were supposed to do it together so we could lay in bed together, heal, write to each other, play video games and what not. It sadly, was something I was looking quite forward to. Now her parents are picking her up in MD, driving her all the way back to NY so she can come down the day before school starts and move in to "our" new apartment.

Get to the point already...
Okay, here is the question I have for the Cyberspace. If her parents have done nothing with her all summer at her home in NY but insist on her being at home and not in MD with me, do they actually want her around, or do they just not want her around me.

I don't know if I can be with someone who will always listen and always obey people who quite so obviously in their beliefs, actions, and words despise my very existence.

Wish I was making this post form there, things always seem much easier at the beach.

No comments: